Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wednesday 3/16 Carnivore BBQ

I Love how new trucks keep popping up here in DC, it really makes lunch time fun again.  Today I tried out another newbie, Carnivore BBQ. These guys have been serving up BBQ at farmers markets and special events for quite a while now, but just joined the DC Food Truck scene 2 weeks ago.

As you can see, the truck is a bit different from the typical food truck.  Instead of using a step van, these guys built out the back of an old Chevy pick up truck, which probably really reduced their start up costs, but lacks in appeal vs the others.


I arrived shortly after noon and their was about 15 people in line ahead of me.  No biggie I thought, as the lines usually move pretty quickly at these things- unfortunately I ended up waiting 35 minutes!  It was obvious that they were way short handed, they need 3-4 people to run this truck efficiently, but they only had 2 guys working.  By the time I realized it was going to take a while, I was already committed, but I did see several people behind me give up and leave.



The Carnivore BBQ truck has two options, beef brisket or pulled pork served on your choice of Kaiser roll or sliced white bread.  They top it off with cole slaw and a choice of 3 different sauces.

As a non-pork eater I liked how they kept the two meats separate and even used different utensils for each type of meat.  So despite the less than stellar outward appearances of the truck, the food service area is kept quite clean.

Beef Brisket on Kaiser $9
So after the long wait, I finally received my Beef Brisket on Kaiser and I was excited to try it!  Immediately I noticed the very generous serving of pure brisket, no chunks of fat here!   The meat was very tasty and you can tell that it was cooked very slowly as it had a very rich flavor.  The cole slaw, is a crispy no-mayo slaw, which I liked- I hate soggy slaw!  Overall I would say it was a decent sandwich, however the 2 squirts of sauce they put on it was not nearly enough, causing the sandwich to be a bit on the dry side.  It would have been nice if you could add your own sauce, especially for those who liked their bbq drenched in it like me.  The meal was pretty filling and considering the amount of brisket piled on it, $9 seems like a fair price, however I feel like something is missing... maybe a pickle would seal the deal nicely!  I would hit this truck up again, but only if they figure out how to service the line faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment