Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday 3/15- Eat Wonky

Today I went for the Eat Wonky Truck.  Although this truck is one of the earliest trucks started in DC, and has received plenty of ink, it was my first time, and I must say I was very pleased.  The Eat Wonky truck serves signature dishes of the Wonky Dog, Grilled Cheese and fresh fries (fried in peanut oil!).  They also have whoopie pies for desert which they get from a local bakery.  Eat Wonky seems to be one of the more entrepreneurial minded trucks out there with their cross promotional activities of local bands and events.
Wonka Dog $6 + Raspberry Whoopie Pie $3


Behold the wonderful Wonky Dog!  Now I am not much of a dog fan, but I must say, this is one hell of a hot dog!  The price is also quite resonable, just $6!   The all beef dog is a very decent size and as far as hot dogs go, its quite tasty.  It is definitely fresh and is nothing like the street car hot dogs sitting around in warm water all day or like the ones at 7-11 getting dry on the hot dog roller thing.  Next, I cant decide which is better, the awesome bun or the yummy toppings.  The bun, also very fresh,  is not your typical dinky hot dog bun, it is an oversized, kaiser-esque bun that easily fits the big dog and all the toppings and is very easy to eat.  In fact, it survived the 15 minute truck to mouth time gap without falling apart, and the mess factor was practically nill; for a messy eater like me that says a lot!  The dog is topped with delicious fresh fried fries and crumbled squeaky cheese, which becomes slightly melted from the heat of the fries.  I am not sure what squeaky cheese is exactly, but for those of you familiar with Halloumi cheese, it is pretty similar in both taste and texture.  I LOVE french fries, and these fries are delish- I would say they are similar to Five Guys fries though not 100% the same, both are fresh cut and fried in Peanut Oil.  I think the wonky dog is a very efficient meal as it combines the side dish with the main dish into one, making for a quick and easy to eat meal.  It came with a fork and knife which I did not end up needing, partly due to my big mouth.  Eat Wonky also sells their fries as a separate side dish, which you can combine with a plan hot dog if you wish. 

I also picked up a Raspberry Lemon Whoppie Pie from the Eat Wonky truck for dessert. Its my first time eating whoopie pie and although I heard some folks are trying to make it the state dessert of Maine, I wasnt a huge fan. I think this is probably a good whoopie pie as far as whoopie pies go, but Im not a fan of the genre.  For those who have not had a Whoppie Pie, apparently its two soft, rather mildly tasting cookies (more like cookie shapped buns/muffins) with a sweet gooyey filling.

All in all, while probably not the healthiest of the truck options, definitely one of the tastiest and I will be back!

Update: As of 6 PM I am still satisfied and full from the Wonky Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment