Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday 3/18 (take 2) - Austin Grill

My experience earlier in the day left me hungry and still craving a decent lunch, so I headed over to Farragut park for Farragut Fridays.  It was great seeing so many trucks out so late in the day (1:30 PM), many with long lines.  Since I had to rush back to work I made my decision based on shortest line, which led me to Austin Grill, which serves typical bar/grill fare of wings, burgers and burritos.  Apparently this truck is part of the local chain with the same name.  While I thought the truck was very nice, I found the menu to be a bit uninspired.

Chicken Burrito Bowl $8
I ordered a chicken burrito but they did not have any tortillas so I had to opt for the burrito bowl.  The burrito comes in a plastic bowl and comes with grilled chicken, pinto beans, rice, tomatoes, lettuce, pico, guacamole and mystery yellow sauce.  The dish is presented quite nicely, the grilled chicken is tasty and moist, and the tomatoes and lettuce are fresh but thats about all they get right.  The rice is dry and tasteless, the guacamole is runny, I was not too impressed with the beans and the yellow mystery sauce tasted funky.  I did finish it, but would have been better off at baja fresh.  This truck and it's food lacks character and can be summarized as "blah".  It probably does better late night serving those too inebriated to care what they are consuming as long as it fills them up.

So I went 0 for 2 today and would not return to Austin Grill again either.  Here is hoping for better luck next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment