Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday 3/18 Sang on Wheels

Its finally starting to feel like spring in DC and I was really looking forward to eating outside today.  Unfortunately it turned into a totally unplanned truck double header.  Normally a good thing,  but two trucks and $18 later, I was left fully unsatisfied.

I started off with Sang on Wheels which was SO terrible, I was only able to east less than half of the meal, leaving me hungry an hour later!  To be fair, I should mention that according to the owner, today is only the second day of operations for this Laotian food truck.  But I get the feeling it is not just the inevitable opening week hiccups that caused the food to be SO bad today, I think they just have bad food (and bad truck design/decor, uninspired staff, and messy set up).  The owner was very friendly and outgoing, but another crew member hanging outside the truck was loudly complaining that he had not eaten lunch yet; apparently he was supposed to be passing out samples but he gave up after a few minutes and proceeded to scarf down the samples himself! 

Tofu Noodles w/ Lamb $8, "fresh" Lemonade $2

BBQ, noodle+rice was the menu posted on twitter, so on the walk over I was envisioning satay style bbq on a bed of fresh noodles, boy did I set my self up for a let down.  I ordered the lamb with noodles and I was very quickly (too quick to be fresh) served my food.  Lets start with the "bbq" lamb, satay it was not!  Basically it was two big meat balls cut in half and put on a stick.  It is very apparent just by looking at these mystery meat balls that they are not grilled, so not sure how they call it bbq.  My best guess based on the cooking marks and overall look is that they were mass cooked in an oven pan and then warmed up on the griddle.   They ended up tasting even worse than they looked, the meat was strangely very soggy, almost water logged and had a very strange taste (even for lamb),  I couldn't get past the 2nd bite before tossing it, and I NEVER toss out food; I am usually able to eat through the pain, this time I could not.  The noodles while not horrible, did not seem very fresh nor were that impressive, they tasted like something that came off an $5.99 all-you-can-eat buffet.  When ordering the owner asked me if I wanted fresh lemonade for $2 more, I'm always a fan of fresh lemonade so I agreed.   I guess next time I should differentiate between fresh squeezed lemonade (which I thought I was getting) and  just fresh lemonade which could mean freshly poured in a cup (which is what I got).  This "fresh" Lemonade ended up being Lemon drink, you know the powdered stuff (eg sugar, water, yellow), yuck! So I left my lunch less than half eaten, took 2 sips of the overly sweet lemon drink and that was the end of that.

I cannot fathom giving this truck another chance, I highly recommend avoiding this truck, even if it means skipping lunch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment