Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday 3/14 - Sabora Street


Today I decided to try one of the newer food trucks in DC- Sabora Street. They sell what they call Latin street fare.  The main offerings are Arepas, which is basically a Latin sloppy joe, except the "bun" is made out of corn meal and they offer your choice of filling (chicken, beef, etc).  They even have a tofu option, which I am guessing is not the most authentic option.  For sides they have yucca fries or plantains (although only yucca fries todays).  Their menu says they have churros as well, but I did not see any.
Chiken Arepa + Yucca Fries for $9, Mango Jarritos $2

So I ended up going for the the Chicken Arepa which came with Yucca Fries.  At first look I thought it was a bit Pequeno, especially given the price, $9- which is a bit mucho.  To my knowledge this is the most expensive truck, aside from the lobster truck.  I am a big Pupusa fan so I was excited to try the Arepa, unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations or the $9 price tag.  First the good, the Yucca Fries, all 10 of them, were pretty tasty, as for the Arepa, not so much.  This is my first Arepa so I only have a Pupusa as a comparison point, but I was not a fan of the "bun".  In the 7 minutes from tuck to mouth it got soggy and was falling apart when I was eating it, and it did not hold the contents too well.  The filling was nothing too exciting, it tasted like mass produced enchilada filling (think school cafeteria.. for those who grew up in the SW).  The Jarritos soda was air temperature, and they did not have any cold ones, so I had to put in in a cup of ice, totally ruining the drink from the bottle experience.  The good thing about Jarritos in general is they use real sugar, no corn syrup, doesn't mean its healthy but will take sugar over the high fructose stuff any day.  I was also disappointed in their packaging which is plastic as opposed to the easy bio degradable stuff many trucks are using.  So while eating at Sabora street is better than the brick and mortar neighborhood alternatives, I would give it a pass next time on the basis of both quality and value.



No comments:

Post a Comment