Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday 6/21- Basil Thyme (Pasta)

Today is a special posting of FTF blog, the wifey was able to join me for lunch today and agreed to be a guest contributor to today's post!

We tried "Basil Thyme", which is pretty new on the DC truck scene (less than two weeks), but despite their newbieness they ran a smooth and tasty operation selling a good variety of high quality pasta with generous proportions and at a decent price!  According to their website they create the pasta fresh every day, not just the sauce but the actual pasta itself, and after tasting it I definitely believe it!

Pasta Combo $10 (Fettuccine, salad, bread, drink and cannoli)
The Basil Thyme truck offers a menu of several different types of Lasagna (vegi, beef, meat) or pasta, today the pasta option was fettuccine, with a variety of sauces to choose from. I ordered the fettuccine with pesto as part of the combo special which came with a side salad, a piece of bread, a drink and two small cannolis. I found it all delicious.

The pasta was very fresh tasting, and you could actually TASTE the pasta, it had perfect texture and softness. The Pesto sauce was also very good, if not perfect. It was not overpowering and had the right balance of basil and oil, and was not too oily or greasy. The pasta was also topped with a good amount of cheese which really tied it all together quite nicely.

The salad was definitely well put together and was not an after thought as often side salads are; it contained high end ingredients, including tomatoes, cucumber, olives, greens and a tangy dressing. The slice of french bread was a nice touch and was useful to help push the pasta on the fork!

I am not a big fan of cannoli as I find them either too rich or too sweet for my taste, but I actually really enjoyed this cannoli, the casing was softer than usual and the fresh ricotta filling was soft and creamy and not too rich or sweet.

The truck staff was very friendly and pleasant to deal with, my only suggestions would be that they use more environmental friendly containers instead of the plastic containers they are using, and stop automatically putting orders in plastic bags.   Also it would be good if they posted the days menu on the truck, which they did not do today.

Overall I give the Basil Thyme truck a very high rating and will definitely be looking to try it again as it was a delicious and filling lunch at a very good value!

My wife had the Beef Lasagna pictured below and agreed to contribute to my blog by posting a review of her meal:

Lasagna Combo (Beef Lasgna, Salad, bread, drink and cannoli) $10

 I had the beef lasagna combo which came with a side salad, bread, drink and dessert. The lasagna tasted fresh and homemade. The lasagna noodles were intact, easy to cut and soft to chew. There were no rough or rubbery corners. The tomato sauce was perfect in flavor. And the lasagna was neither greasy nor overloaded with cheese, however I did not taste much basil or other herbs in the lasagna. If I were to suggest any modifications to the recipe it would be to add more Thyme and Basel as the truck name implies. The side salad was mixed greens (primarily arugula), with pitted kalamata olives and a sliced cucumber. It had the perfect amount of dressing- I like to taste the greens in my salad, not the dressing. For dessert I had the cannoli which tasted wonderful.  I would say it is probably the best cannoli I have had in a super long time. The cannoli was soft yet firm. You can taste the cinnamon in the cannoli which made it so tasty. The cream was not too sweet nor too thick. I didn't feel like I was eating sweetened butter-like cream. The cream was soft and whipped. I would definitely go back to try out other meals on their menu.




















1 comment:

  1. The lasagna looked good, but I'm a little concerned about the softness of the cannoli. Cannoli is fried dough, so it should be crispy, and so that means it's been sitting around enough for the moisture from the filling to have absorbed and made the crispy soft. But I rarely eat cannoli so I don't know what makes good or bad cannoli. But now I have something to eat when i come to dc. Can't wait. :)

    ReplyDelete