Wednesday, June 15, 2011

June 14 - Fojol Bros of Benethopia

Fojol Bros is my favorite food truck  franchise, so I am not sure why it has taken me this long to post a review.  Fojol Bros of Merlinda (aka the Indian Food Truck) is my favorite of the food trucks and never disappoints.  The food is always delicious and the staff, dressed up in their goofy outfits complete with huge fake mustaches and turbans always have something hilarious to say.  Today I tried their newest truck, called Fojol Bros of Benethopia which as the name implies, serves up Ethopian food.  Its the same style 70's funky truck as the Indian truck, also blasting funky tunes and also has a witty staff making the lunch process enjoyable for their customers.  They even put out chairs and blankets on the grass for customers to enjoy!  Even better, this truck has a sink on the outside to wash your hands, which comes in handy since Ethiopian food is best eaten with your hands! 
Pick 2 Combo with Beef Berbere and Berber Lentils- $7

Like their their Merlindian relatives, the fojol bros of Benethopia have combo options of 2 or 3 items, both come with plenty of Injera bread.  I like Ethopian food a lot, and despite DC being full of Ethopian restaurants, I have found, with few exception, most to be hit or miss.  Fojol Bros did not let me down, I found the combo of Beef Berbere and the Berber Lentils to be delicious!  They were both very tasty and generous in proportion and had just the right amount of spice kick- not too spicy and not too bland.  As far as I can tell, this is pretty authentic Ethopian food and definitely well prepared.  The beef is very moist and comes in a tomato based sauce.  The lentils also come in a tomato based sauce and are cooked to perfection, not soggy or smushed and not hard-- just right!  I dont know if you can go wrong with Injera bread, but I should note that the Injera bread is also just good and comes pre cut in easy to eat triangles.

I am glad to have found another solid food truck in town.  When I am not in the mood to experiment I know I can get a solid meal at an excellent price, at $7 for the 2-item combo, its cheaper than all of the lamewhich/salad places that are scheming to keep the DC lunch scene bland!

I look forward to trying the other offerings at Fojol Brothers of Benethopia, and also to write about the original Fojol Bros of Merlinda, I definitely recommend trying both trucks, you cant go wrong with Fojol Bros!

No comments:

Post a Comment